Bare lightbulb sparks fire in Colorado Springs apartment

A Colorado Springs apartment sustained significant damage when clothes came into contact with an unprotected incandescent lightbulb, sparking a fire. / Colorado Springs Fire Department
A Colorado Springs apartment sustained significant damage when clothes came into contact with an unprotected incandescent lightbulb, sparking a fire. / Colorado Springs Fire Department

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — An unprotected incandescent lightbulb started a fire in a Colorado Springs apartment Wednesday evening, according to firefighters.

The fire started around 6:30 p.m. at the Avalon Valley Apartments on San Miguel Street. Firefighters said the lightbulb came into contact with clothes in the closet.

No one was injured in the fire, but the apartment sustained significant smoke and fire damage, according to firefighters.

Firefighters are reminding the public that incandescent lightbulbs can get very hot, and can be dangerous if they come into contact with items like clothing, curtains, and cardboard. They said incandescent bulbs should always be protected by a lampshade or glass cover to prevent accidental contact.

A Colorado Springs apartment sustained significant damage when clothes came into contact with an unprotected incandescent lightbulb, sparking a fire. / Colorado Springs Fire Department
A Colorado Springs apartment sustained significant damage when clothes came into contact with an unprotected incandescent lightbulb, sparking a fire. / Colorado Springs Fire Department

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s