Six apartments damaged in Rockrimmon fire

Six apartments were damaged in a fire at a Rockrimmon apartment building Monday. / Colorado Springs Fire Department
Six apartments were damaged in a fire at a Rockrimmon apartment building Monday. / Colorado Springs Fire Department

This story has been updated. 

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Six apartments were damaged in a fire in northwestern Colorado Springs Monday.

The fire started around 11:45 a.m. in an apartment building in the area of Rockrimmon Boulevard and Delmonico Drive.

Firefighters said it started on a second floor apartment and spread to the apartment above it. It started when the residents, who were moving into the apartment, used the stove as a flat surface to hold boxes, then accidentally bumped the burner control switch, according to firefighters.

Firefighters said 12 apartments were evacuated while they fought the fire. Six apartments were damaged by smoke or fire.

it took 40 firefighters less than 30 minutes to get the fire under control.

Firefighters said one person cut his hand while using a portable fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived. No other injuries were reported.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s