Man dies after new tattoo gets infected during swim

Tattoo
Doctors say a man in Texas has died because he went swimming too soon after getting a tattoo. / Parkland Health & Hospital System/CNN

TEXAS — Doctors say a man in Texas has died because he went swimming too soon after getting a tattoo.

According to a report published last week in medical journal BMJ Case Reports, the 31-year-old man went swimming in the Gulf of Mexico five days after the procedure.

It was there he became infected by the bacteria causing the infection, vibriosis, which led to his hospitalization.

The man developed septic shock and died about two months later.

One of the top rules after getting a new tattoo is to avoid swimming and bathing because you’re more prone to picking up infections.

The authors in the study have not revealed the man’s identity. They say in a typical case study, patients are referred to by their initials, but because this case was so rare, they did not provide that in order to prevent anyone from figuring out his identity.

Read the full article on CNN.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s