Fire crews remind residents to check smoke alarms after structure fire causes over $295K in damages

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Crews were able to contain a structure fire at Parade Circle West on Monday, saving a total $217,057 in structure and contents.

According to the Colorado Springs Fire Department, crews responded around 9:15 a.m. to a report of a fire at 3228 Parade Circle West.

Officials say the fire was reportedly coming from the basement. It was extinguished within 30 minutes, fire officials say.

Although the house had battery-operated smoke alarms installed, they had not been changed and did not alert the residents to the fire, according to fire officials.

Due to the fire and smoke damage to the home, the family was displaced and will be staying a local hotel in the meantime.

Investigators conclude that the fire did start in the basement and was accidental, caused by an electrical event, the fire department says.

Crews saved a total $217,057 in structure and contents, with a loss of $295,439.

Both residents and the family dog were safely outside and there were no reported injuries.

CSFD wants to remind residents of the following:

  • Working smoke alarms save lives
  • Smoke alarms are a key part of any home escape plan. They give you an early warning so you can get outside quickly.

>> For more safety information, click here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s