Sand Creek graduate dies after taking party drug

Megan Pacheco
Megan Pacheco

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — A Sand Creek High School graduate who was in a coma after taking the party drug “Molly” has died, a family friend confirmed Thursday.

Megan Pacheco was a recent graduate of Sand Creek High School. She was hospitalized with kidney and liver failure after trying Molly last week. She died Thursday.

Megan’s dad said she was with a group of friends when she tried the drug first. Immediately knowing something was wrong, she told her friends not to do it. She was rushed to the hospital with a 108-degree fever. There, she was placed in a medically induced coma due to liver and kidney failure.

Megan was supposed to start school at the University of Northern Colorado this fall. Her cheer coach said she was the type of person anyone would want on their team.

“She’s so smart, bright, loving and caring, so something like this is a real shock to our core, because this isn’t something we normally do,” Sand Creek Cheer Coach Ali Malcolm told FOX21 Tuesday.

Her former cheer team organized a candlelight vigil and made ribbons in her honor.

Classmates and friends posted memories and tributes on Twitter using the hashtag #PrayForPacheco.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s