Community gathers for Pacheco vigil

UPDATE: Megan Pacheco died Thursday, a family friend confirmed.


COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Hundreds of people came out Wednesday night for a candlelight vigil for Megan Pacheco at Sand Creek High School.

Megan is a recent Sand Creek graduate. She’s in critical condition battling liver and kidney failure after trying the party drug “Molly” last week.

According to her dad, she was hanging out with a group of friends when she tried the drug first. Immediately knowing something was wrong, she told her friends not to do it. She was rushed to the hospital with a 108-degree fever.

That’s when she was placed in a medically induced coma, which she still hasn’t woken up from.

Megan’s family said she recently moved her jaw and mouth, which is encouraging to her peers.

Her former cheer team handed out red ribbons, her favorite color, at the vigil to raise awareness about the dangers of this drug.

Many tears were shed at the vigil, but her friends also shared positive stories about her.

For many students, this tragedy has changed how they view drugs.

Police said they’re seeing a decrease in arrests related to Molly in the past few years, but that doesn’t mean use is down.

There are some ways to tell if your child is using this drug. While you might not see them do it, in the week afterwards, you might notice them being depressed, unenergetic, and having a lack of memory and focus.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s